When do pitching rules take effect?
- When he “intentionally steps on the rubber”
- Make sure he is on rubber taking signs
- Can turn shoulder before coming set in 2005
- (Don't over officiate this-)
Only has 2 choices on the mound-
- Windup or set- (Of course he can step off-)
During Windup, what can he do?
- Together, one up and one down, both to sides
- If together, then separates, runner on 3 rd , BALK
During Set or stretch
- Where is foot, and where is free hand, don't over officiate
- Did he stop? Do not let him bounce- No double-stops
- Third to first move, foot must touch ground before going 1 st
- Which foot went first, the knee is a good indicator
- Every pitch is either a ball or a strike
- Dropped ball while on the rubber, doesn't cross the foul line, it's a BALK
He'd Better Not-
- Infractions...Foreign substance, shine ball, rubbing ball to deface, discolot with dirt, hand to mouth w/o going to uniform before touching ball, wearing items on hand, wrist, or arms that distract batter, wearing tape, etc. on fingers or palm on pitching hand, use a two-tone glove (or white, gray, or light blue), wearing a white t-shirt with sleeves exposed.
Delay the Game?
- Throwing to any player other than catcher, unless attempt to retire a runner (not a balk-warn then eject)
- Failing to pitch or make attempt on a play with 20 seconds after receiving the ball, call a ball-again do not over officiate
- Warm-ups- 8 to start a game, 5 between innings
- Use your judgment here...If teams are hustling between innings, cold damp weather, not out to get a pitcher injured (calling strikes will move your games along much faster
- In doubt, warn the offender, if you warn one bench-do both
- In NO doubt, get rid of him NOW, and then warn the other bench (coach does not go-this is IHSA not pro)
- Can probably call one every pitch
- Watch that move to 3 rd then 1 st
- Batter steps out while pitcher in delivery, DO NOT BALK the pitcher, double violation-remind offense
- Cannot separate hands once they come together, set or Windup
- Plate-watch the step to 1 st during pick-off-your call
Hidden Ball Trick-
- Where is the pitcher, where is the ball
- On the dirt surface, he better have the ball
- After dead ball, do not put ball in play until EVERYONE is ready including your partner
See the printable document.